Beat Breast Cancer – Support Komen Austin

  • November 12, 2014
  • Starr Million Baker

My oldest childhood friend (32 years and counting) has two little girls, ages 11 and 6. They are awesome balls of energy, fun, personality, and love. My oldest childhood friend also has breast cancer (for the second time), as did her mother, as did her aunt, and as likely will those two little girls. She’s BRCA1-A positive and she’s fighting every day. The very least that I can do is also fight, which is why I’m supporting Komen Austin this year to raise awareness of the organization’s efforts in the Austin area to find a cure for breast cancer. This issue is near and dear to many members of the INK team too – not one person on our team has been untouched in some way by cancer.

We are providing our help to the Komen Austin team in an effort to increase registrations for the Race for the Cure this Sunday, November 16, in downtown Austin. Registrations for the Race make up the vast majority of the local non-profit’s fundraising efforts for the year. And let me clear up some confusion about where that money goes – 75% of it remains in Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis and Williamson counties to fund prevention through education and screenings while also helping uninsured and under-insured individuals who are currently battling breast cancer. The remaining 25 percent of funds is solely dedicated to national research. Research funding raised by Komen Affiliates, including the Austin chapter, is never used to fund the operational costs of Komen headquarters. Often times, we falsely believe that these well-known causes have plenty of support and don’t need ours, but this is not the case.

So please consider supporting this cause by getting out to the Austin Race for the Cure on Sunday. Register today. It is an easy run – 5K – you can even walk it. It should also be beautiful weather, it’s over early so you can still enjoy a lazy Sunday, and you’ll be glad you did it. As will the women, men and families of the Austin area who will be able to fight this tragic disease with the help of Komen Austin.

Thanks for your help.

– Starr

Other good stuff in here